Thursday, July 2, 2009

Little help with C++

This is for IT people only. Basically it is a post looking for tutoring help in C++ for windows. Person won a contract for teaching a 5 day class on C++ in Singapore. He does not happen to know programming in C++ on windows and is asking for someone to get him up to speed. What is funny is that specific areas in windows C++ he is looking for help in are enough for a good 5 years of intensive study, what is also remarkable is a special blessing he perceives in getting the gig.

I am withholding the name, if you want to help contact me for contact info.

Thanks,

Blessed be the Lord God, from Whom all blessings come, and Who has
caused me to win the bid on a contract to deliver a class in Singapore
between July 27 and July 31. Those of you on this mailing list who
are salaried employees may be unfamiliar with the feeling, but those
of us who are independent contractors, who are employed some weeks and
unemployed other weeks, are filled with joy when we land a contract
during the first ten days of Av, because it gives us a hetter to
shower. If we're working during those days, then we may shower,
because we cannot allow our non-Jewish workplace associates to be
offended by the odor of acrid sweat emanating from our persons. If
we're not working during those days, then we have no hetter to shower,
and this causes me great distress, more distress than the fast, which
hardly bothers me at all.

The class is a 5-day class in "Developing Applications Using 64-Bit
Technology" in C and C++. Now, although I have won the bid to be
presented to the customer, the customer has not yet signed the
contract, and I must still convince the customer that I can deliver
the class. The class is supposed to cover both Linux, which I know
well, and Microsoft Windows, which I know less well. Here are the
Windows-specific topics that the customer will want me to address:

>
> * Active Directory DC
> * Virtualization
> * Terminal Services
> * Exchange Server
> * 64-bit Server Hardware/Computing Infrastructure Optimization
> o Migrating to Windows Vista: Should you go with 64-bit?
> o Give your system memory a boost with x64
> o 64-bit Windows -- help or hype?
> o When and how to migrate to a 64-bit platform
> o Virtualization and 64-bit: A match made in Windows heaven
> o Resources from Intel
> * WoW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit)
> o x86 emulator
> o Performance and Memory Consumption
> o WOW64 Implementation Details
> o Registry Redirector
> o File System Redirector
> o Memory Management
> o Processor Affinity
> o Interprocess Communication
> o Application Installation
> o Debugging WOW64
> * Migrating/Accessing DLLs from 32-bit to 64-bit
> o The conflict: 64-bit versus 32-bit
> o The solution: a surrogate process
> o Distributed COM (DCOM), as an IPC mechanism
> o Implications
> * 64-Bit Migration to Windows
> o 64-Bit Programming Models
> o Technical Choices
> o Evaluation Criteria
> o Portability
> o Interoperability with 32-Bit Systems and other 64-Bit Systems
> o Standards
> o Performance Characteristics
> o Transition
> o Intel CC
> o Open64 Compilers
> o Secure Programming Lint
> o Source OS Tools
> o Endianism Role
> o Steps to Portability
> * Writing code that takes advantage of new instructions
> * Optimization using 64-bit programming
> o Three Levels of Optimization
> * Effective use of big memory while avoiding the pitfalls
> * Memory Usage Decrease
> * Issues & Problems of testing 64-bit applications
>

(I notice, parenthetically and with astonishment, that the above
document speaks of going to 64-bit when migrating to Windows Vista.
Can it really be true that Microsoft did not support 64-bit
programming prior to Windows Vista? I wrote and taught a class more
than 9 years ago on migrating from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 8, and about
half of the class was devoted to issues of 64-bit migration. Is
Microsoft that far behind the civilized world?)

To fulfill this contract, and, very likely, even to get the customer
to finalize this contract, I must display greater proficiency in the
above topics than I can currently command. If you can teach me what I
need to know, I will pay you $50 an hour for our private tutoring
sessions. Moreover, I will probably err on the side of requesting
more tutoring than I need, rather than risk obtaining less tutoring
than I need. I know that we have some mean coders on this mailing
list, hopefully there will be those among you who can strengthen my
mastery of the above topics, particularly WoW64, of which I am
especially ignorant.

If I succeed, with your help, in winning the customer's final approval
for this job, expect a subsequent inquiry on this mailing list
concerning on what day one should observe Shabbat in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment